- 100% passing rate Librarian Licensure Examination (2012)
- CHED Center of Development in Information Technology Education
- Only Top Performing Library School in the Visayas recognized by the Professional Regulation Commision
- Top Performing School in the Philippine Information Technology General Certification Exam
- Host of Ph.D. Mathematics Program in partnership with Ateneo de Manila University and CHED
- Collaborating with Academics without Borders-Canada Project for teaching statistics in K-12
- CHEC delivering institution for mathematics
- Level III FAAP-accredited B.S. Math. program evaluated by PAASCU
The long history of the Department of Computer, Information Sciences, and Mathematics (DCISM) began with the establishment of the Department of Mathematics in 1962 with Fr. Michael Richartz, SVD, Ph.D. as the first department chair, with an initial offering of the Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Master of Science in Mathematics programs to address the lack of college mathematics teachers in the region. In 1990, the Department of Mathematics has renamed the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science following the introduction of the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science curriculum prompted by strong demand from foreign direct investments and local industries. With the development of wireless technology and in response to the needs of the IT industry, the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology program was also offered in 2000 and the Master of Science in Information Technology program in 2003.
In 2004, the Higher Education Development Project of the Commission on Higher Education identified the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science as a delivering Higher Education Institution for its scholarship grant for Master of Mathematics which aims to improve the quality of mathematics instruction in higher education institutions. Due to the increasing number of students enrolled in Information and Computer Technology, the Computer Science section separated from the Department of Mathematics in 2010 with Jacqueline Fat-Yara as its first chair. The department is a founding member of the Cebu Educational Development Foundation for Information Technology (CEDF-IT) and Oracle Academic Initiative (OAI). The department was recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) as a Center of Development for Information Technology Education in January 2016.
Meanwhile, the Department of Library Science was established in 1966 under its first chair, Nenita Po Sy. Library Science as a discipline had an even longer journey, beginning as a minor in the Bachelor of Science in Education program in 1950, then as a Bachelor of Arts program in 1958, while a Master of Science in Library Science program was offered in 1970. Prompted by the Commission on Higher Education, the bachelor’s program became an A.B. in Library and Information Science in 1998, before standardization in 2005 resulted in the offering of the Bachelor of Library and Information Science, the Master of Library and Information Science, and the Master of Science in Library and Information Science programs.
Currently, the Department of Computer, Information Science, and Mathematics has five academic sections, namely Computer Science, Information and Communication Technology, Information Technology, Library and Information Science, and Mathematics.
For more information, contact: The Chair, Department of Computer, Information Science, and Mathematics
University of San Carlos
LB465TC, Lawrence Bunzel Building
Talamban Campus, Nasipit, Cebu City 6000
Trunkline +63-32-230-0100 local 150 or 158
Coordinator, Mathematics section University of San Carlos
Room D311, SMED Building
Talamban Campus, Nasipit, Cebu City 6000
Trunkline +63-32-230-0100 local 148 or 149
Master of Science in Information Technology (M.S. I.T.)
Master of Science in Library and Information Science (M.S. L.I.S.)
Master of Science in Mathematics (M.S. Math.)
Bachelor of Library and Information Science (B. L.I.S.)
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (B.S. C.S.)
Bachelor of Science in Information and Communications Technology (B.S. I.C.T.)
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (B.S. I.T.)
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics (B.S. Math.)
Associate in Computer Technology major in Multimedia Technology (A. C.T.-M.T.)
Computer Science graduates are primarily employed as computer R&D professionals, software design engineers, and systems software developers, as well as applications software developers and computer programmers. Information Technology graduates can find employment as web and applications developers, database administrators, network engineers, information security administrators, systems integrators, and IT auditors. They can also serve as QA specialists, systems analysts, technical support specialists, and computer programmers. Information and Communications Technology graduates can find profitable employment as web designers, graphic artists, multimedia editors, associate programmers, technopreneurs, computer technicians, database designers, technical network support staff, junior systems administrators, technical service representatives, software testers, technical writers, applications developers, IT officers, and R&D or network engineers. Employers of our graduates include the following companies: Accenture, Advanced World Systems Inc., Alliance Software Inc., Azeus Systems Philippines, Convergys, Framgia Holdings PTE Ltd., Global Zeal, IBM, Kyocera, Lexmark, NCR, NEC, Nerubia Web Solutions Inc., NEXT IX, NPAX Cebu Corporation, Rococo Global Technologies Corp., Savvysherpa, and Sprasia Philippines.
Library and Information Science graduates serve as academic librarians, archives managers, audio-visual administrators, database managers, directors of libraries, documentalists, information consultants, information specialists, learning resources coordinators, library system analysts, media specialists, multimedia librarians, school librarians, subject specialists, and teachers of Library and Information Science.
Mathematics graduates work as software design engineers, professors and lecturers, space analysts, insurance analysts, finance and risk analysts, statisticians, programmers, consultants, researchers, search engine optimization specialists, and market analysts in private industries or governments both in the country and overseas including Canada, Australia, Germany, Japan, Taiwan, and the United States. Employers of our graduates include SavvySherpa, NEC, Gaisano Metro, N-Pax Cebu Corp., Advance World System, Union Bank, China Bank, Bank of the Philippine Islands, Banco de Oro, Department of Foreign Affairs, Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp., the Aboitiz Group of Companies, Social Security System, B-Meg Philippines, Insular Life, Nestle, and various colleges and universities.
Building Higher Education’s Capacity to Conduct Eye-Tracking Research using the Analysis of Novice Programmer Tracing and Debugging Skills as a Proof of Concept, a collaborative research project with Ateneo de Manila University
E-Participation 2.0: Connecting Diverse Philippine Populations for Disaster Risk Management with a Toolkit Integrating Text and Speech Analytics, a collaborative research project with National University under Philippine-California Advanced Research Institutes (PCARI) Project Commission on Higher Education
Underwater Video Inspection Systems (UVIS), in partnership with Remote Technology Solutions Pte Ltd (Singapore)
Facilities and equipment
- ICT Laboratory
- Multimedia Laboratory
- Research Laboratory
- Programming Laboratory
- Mobile Development Laboratory
- PC Servicing and Networking Laboratory
- Multimedia Studio Room
- Green Screen Room
- Audio Recording Room
- Maderazo, Christian V.ChairFull Instructor
- Alota, Romeo CAssistant Professor
- Araceli, Alfonso A.
- Argenal, Rene N.Assistant Professor
- Bacayo, Arlene Y.
- Bacalso, Reuella J A.Assistant Professor
- Berdin, Janice F.
- Baterna, Margie L.Full Instructor
- Burdeos, Maria Luisa K.
- Belleza, Katrina E.Full Instructor
- Cabarron, Maxie Doreen L.Director of Libraries
- Bulay-og, Marie Cris A.Assistant Instructor
- Cantara, Anthonette D.Full Instructor
- Engcot, Mark Kenneth C.Full Instructor
- Capao, Kris A.Assistant Instructor
- Enriquez, Enrico L.Associate Professor
- Ceniza-Canillo, Angie M.CoordinatorFull InstructorInformation Technology/PN linkage
- Estrada, Grace M.Full Instructor
- Lanticse, Cristita L.CoordinatorLibrary and Information Science
- Fernandez, Valerie V.Full Instructor
- Albeza, Julius Marco A.Full Instructor
- Mendoza, Eduardo P.Full Instructor
- Loquias, Carmelita M.Assistant ProfessorCoordinator Mathematics section
- Monserate, Godwin S.Assistant Instructor
- Piramide, Jennefer M.Full Instructor
- Pepito, Glenn B.Full Instructor
- Poliquit, Elmer S.Full Instructor
Peña, Christine F.Full Instructor
Coordinator, Information and Communications Technology/Information Systems
- Punzalan, Teodora J.Assistant Professor
- Polinar, Stephanie B.Full Instructor
- Ravina, Jovita N.Full Instructor
- Quevedo, Mark Isaiah S.Assistant Instructor
- Sionzon, Marian Conception R.Assistant Professor
- Sabang, Daphne LeahSabang, Daphne LeahAssistant Instructor
- Urgel, Edwin N.Full Instructor
- Sabellano, Mary Jane G.Assistant Professor
- Sebial, ArchivalComputer ScienceCoordinatorFull Instructor
- Singh, Don Bhrayan M.Assistant Instructor
- Tapulado, Susana Nimfa A.
- Trinidad, Maria Gloria A.